Monday, September 10, 2012

Making Something Beautiful Out of Our "Mistakes"

September 4th- 14th, students in every grade will be learning to make something beautiful from their "mistakes." Every class is beginning by reading Beautiful Oops by Barney Saltzberg. (you can check it out here! www.beautifuloops.com)


Too many times do they "mess up" and wish to start over. I see such great potential in their work, even when they are not 100% happy with it. I always tell them to keep working, because you never know how it may turn out through the processes. I give them the example of a painting I did in college. I had been working on this painting (the bright orange abstract below) for about a week now. I had put over 40 hours into this painting and BAM! My professor slammed yellow paint all over my painting and simply said "fix it." I did fix it and I like it better because of it. I want all my students to see such potential in an "oops."


Here is a few snap shots of whats going on in the art room this week, but more to come tomorrow!!





No comments:

Post a Comment